Radiation therapy is the use of high-energy x-rays that target specific cancer sites. Our advanced technology allows us to precisely aim the radiation at the tumor while avoiding damage to the normal, healthy cells. Radiation may be used to destroy cancer cells, relieve symptoms associated with cancer, and/or prevent the cancer from returning.
Your treatment is custom-tailored and unique to your diagnosis, tumor size, location and involvement. Your radiation oncologist (a doctor who specializes in treating cancer with radiation) will review all available treatment options and recommend a personalized plan for you based on national guidelines, which guide all cancer treatments. Radiation therapy is used either alone or in combination with other treatments such as chemotherapy and surgery.
Radiation can be delivered either from outside the body with a machine called a linear accelerator (external beam radiation) or from a radiation source implanted permanently or temporarily in the body (brachytherapy).
Different types of radiation are used to treat specific types of cancer.
- 3-D CRT (3 Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy) – Uses 3-dimensional images of the tumor in the patient’s body to develop a radiation treatment plan designed specifically for that individual.
- IMRT (Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy) – A form of 3D CRT, IMRT adjusts the intensity of the radiation beam to deliver a sculpted dose of radiation to the tumor while avoiding adjacent, healthy tissue.
- IGRT (Image Guided Radiation Therapy) – Improves targeting by using high-resolution imaging to track tumor position before each treatment.
- Electron Beam Therapy – Targets lesions on or near the skin’s surface, often serving as an alternative to surgery with excellent cosmetic outcomes.
What to expect
Talk To A Team Member Today
We know you have a choice about where you get your cancer care but we hope you’ll choose us. Here are the top reasons why we believe Laurel Cancer Care is the best choice:
- We use the most advanced therapies available.
- Our doctor is specially trained and board certified. Meet Dr. L. Cameron Pimperl!
- Our medical, technical and support staff are experts at what they do. Meet the team!
- Our treatment plans follow national guidelines and are the same protocols as those used by the top academic cancer centers.
- We work as a one team that is closely coordinated, with one focus.
- We want everyone to feel like family.
- We keep close tabs on your physical, mental and emotional well-being because we care about quality of life.
- You get to stay close to home, surrounded by the love and support of your family and friends.